Curious about how much time you spend on the Internet?
To assess the level of use, answer the following questions using this scale:
0 = Not Applicable
1 = Rarely
2 = Occasionally
3 = Frequently
4 = Often
5 = Always
- How often do you find that you stay online longer than you intended?
- How often do you neglect household chores to spend more time online?
- How often do you prefer the excitement of the Internet to intimacy with
- How often do you form new relationships with fellow online users?
- How often do others in your life complain to you about the amount of
time you spend online?
- How often do your grades or schoolwork suffer because of the amount
of time you spend online?
- How often do you check your e-mail before something else that you
need to do?
- How often does your job performance or productivity suffer because of the Internet?
- How often do you become defensive or secretive when anyone asks you what you do online?
- How often do you block out disturbing thoughts about your life with soothing thoughts of the Internet?
- How often do you find yourself anticipating when you will go online again?
- How often do you fear that life without the Internet would be boring, empty, and joyless?
- How often do you snap, yell, or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are online?
- How often do you lose sleep due to late-night log-ins?
- How often do you feel preoccupied with the Internet when offline, or
fantasize about being online?
- How often do you find yourself saying “Just a few more minutes” when
- How often do you try to cut down the amount of time you spend online
- How often do you try to hide how long you’ve been online?
- How often do you choose to spend more time online over going out
- How often do you feel depressed, moody, or nervous when you are
offline, which goes away once you are back online?
After all the questions have been answered, add the numbers for each response to obtain a final score. The higher the score range, the greater the level of addiction, as follows:
Normal Range: 0–30 points
Mild: 31–49 points
Moderate: 50–79 points
Severe: 80–100 points
If you are concerned about the level of internet use you or someone you know is experiencing and would like to talk about it, contact me to set up an a appointment.